Fluffy, easy, healthy, nutritious, delicious, and low GI pancakes…umm yes girlfraaand, they do exist !!
These badass pancakes make a great breakfast full of protein from the Quinoa with no baddies that will hurt our coeliac friends. Quinoa is much more gentle on your blood sugar than most other grains, and it also happens to be goddamn delicious! (Note: Quinoa is technically a seed, but it's commonly referred to as a grain.)
If you like quinoa then you will love these babies. If you're not a fan of the taste of quinoa then I double dare you to give them a go anyway. Yes the taste of the quinoa does come through (no they won't taste like the sugar filled pancake mix you can buy off the shelves aka, cancer in a packet) but the natural sugars and raw cacao all together makes salivary gland explosions happen. Fo real.
You might surprise yourself and end up enjoying a new, healthy breakfast treat... Enjoy!
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (grain or flakes, whatever your jam is)
- ¾ cups almond milk (any other dairy or non-dairy milk should work also)
- coconut oil (Spray is best... buy from coles!)
- 4 eggs OR ¾ cups egg whites
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- A pinch of grounded himalayan rock salt
- 1/3 raw cacao (note: not cocoa or coco... we are trying to avoid sugar. You can purchase raw cacao from any health food store)
- Sweetener *optional*. BUT do it, I did it.... (3-5 Tbsp. of either sucanat, raw maple syrup, or raw honey)
- A punnet of blueberries and/or strawberries.
- Place cooked quinoa, almond milk, and eggs in a blender. Blitz on high speed until everything is blended into a smooth batter.
- Add the baking powder, cacao, salt, and optional sweetener. Pulse blender a few times to incorporate these ingredients into the batter.
- The batter will be pretty thick. Spray coconut oil onto a pre-heated pan. Pour the batter into the pan to the size you desire. Cook until the pancake starts to appear dry and is golden brown underneath.
- Before you flip, sprinkle your blueberries onto the uncooked side of your pancake THEN flip it like the inner masterchef in you would. Continue cooking until completely done and golden brown on both sides. I like to squish the pancake when the blueberries are on the underside so the juices come out. The more squishing, the more deliciousness.
- Serve with strawberries, banana and coconut yogurt or your desired toppings of choice [just as long as they are sugar free!].